STYROFOAM™ CLADMATE™ and STYROFOAM CLADMATE XL can be applied directly over OSB or other non-insulating sheathing that has been installed over the exterior of wood frame walls. STYROFOAM CLADMATE/STYROFOAM CLADMATE XL extruded polystyrene insulation will reduce air infiltration through the walls and provide additional insulation value to the wall and also protect it from concealed condensation.
1. Install STYROFOAM CLADMATE or STYROFOAM CLADMATE XL insulation extruded polystyrene insulation directly over OSB or other non-insulating exterior sheathing. Use nails or staples with minimum 1/2" diameter metal or plastic washers. Fasteners should penetrate though the foam and non-insulating sheathing and penetrate the underlying studs a minimum 1/2" and be spaced 6" apart along the edges of the board and on a 12" x 16" grid in the field of the board.
2. Ensure the joints of the STYROFOAM CLADMATE/STYROFOAM CLADMATE XL insulation do not coincide with the OSB or non-insulating sheathing joints.
3. Install 2'x8' STYROFOAM CLADMATE insulation horizontally, with board end and edge joints tightly butted. Stagger the end joints courses of STYROFOAM insulation.
4. Install 4'x8' STYROFOAM CLADMATE XL insulation vertically with board joints tightly butted.
5. Place batt insulation between the studs. Make sure the vapour retarder (0.006 mil polyethylene typically) is on the warm side, which is typically the living area in colder climates, install interior finish according to manufacturer's installation instructions.
6. Apply siding or other exterior finish in accordance with applicable building codes and finish according to manufacturer's recommendations.
Note: STYROFOAM CLADMATE/STYROFOAM CLADMATE XL extruded polystyrene insulation is not a structural panel. Follow requirements of your local building code for structural corner bracing.