A freshly poured foundation surrounded by BLUE™ STYROFOAM™ Brand Extruded Polystyrene Insulation is a common sight on building sites throughout North America. That’s because insulating foundations with the original extruded polystyrene foam foam insulation is one of the best ways to enhance energy efficiency, manage moisture and reduce a building’s carbon footprint.
Advantages to Insulating Exterior Foundations
- Walls are not subjected to large temperature differences and will not act as a thermal bridge
- Less air convection in block cavities
- At nearly room temperature, the foundation acts as a heat reservoir, buffering interior temperature fluctuations
- In some instances, adfreezing forces are prevented from acting directly on the foundation
- Interior usable space can be maximized
- Protects waterproofing membranes while insulating
Dow can help you get to the bottom of your foundation insulation questions.